,
Message sent from:

Our School

Birstwith-1341

The school is a voluntary controlled Church of England co-educational primary school. It is located centrally in the village next to the car park and close to the village shop and the church.

We are proud of the close links we have with our local church of St James and welcome Rev Chrissy Wilson into school as a regular visitor to take acts of Collective Worship. Christian principles and values underpin all that we do in school and indeed our whole school ethos. We are always made most welcome at the church and regularly use the building for special assemblies, concerts and plays.

The school building was originally constructed in 1879 and with many subsequent additions and alterations now comprises:

  • a large hall which serves as the dining room, assembly area and PE hall.
  • four classrooms
  • a library / TV room / Music room.
  • offices
  • staff room / meeting room
  • kitchen
  • toilet and cloakroom facilities
  • disabled access and facilities

There are three playground areas and a school field.

Our wonderful school cook, Charlotte, produces freshly cooked meals from the lately refurbished kitchen. All produce is sourced as locally as possible and there is a choice of options that the children can pre order.

The ‘Time Out Club’ providing wrap around care for the children is run by Mrs Holland and is a great favourite with those who use it. Parents can leave their children in the knowledge that they will be cared for under one roof until such a time that they can collect them.